Sunday, November 4, 2012

Oct.28-Nov.4th Chapter 12

When it comes to making accurate attributions that have come in handy, I can say that I am a pretty good judge of character and I can tell a lot about someone by how they carry themselves. As a spanish speaker I often find myself in situations where I can use my spanish, however I don't want to be rude and assume that someone can speak spanish simply because they look like they do. In situations like this, if I hear someone speaking spanish, and if I get the vibe that the person with whom I'm going to interact is more comfortable speaking spanish, then I will use my spanish. Often times, the people who I speak spanish to are surprised because I don't look like I can speak spanish, and ironically, that is them making negative attributions about me, because they assume I only speak english.

1 comment:

  1. That's nice that you don't just judge someone buy what they look like to determine if they speak a certain language or not. I know that this happens a lot of time especially in our area because we are so diverse. My question to you is have you ever ran into a person who carries themselves different than what they actually are. I feel like I have ran into people who want to carry themselves really good but then once you get to know them the situation changes. I know it doesnt happen with everyone but I was wondering if you have ran into that issue and what you have done?

    ReplyDelete